Ophthalmic ketorolac comes as a solution (liquid) to instill in the eyes. For allergy symptoms, one drop is usually instilled in the affected eyes four times a day. For inflammation after cataract surgery, one drop is usually instilled in the affected eye four times a day for 2 weeks beginning 24 hours after surgery. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Use ketorolac ophthalmic exactly as directed. Do not use more or less of it or use it more than prescribed by your doctor.
Your allergy symptom (itchy eyes) should improve when you instill the eye drops. If your symptoms do not improve or if they worsen, call your doctor.
For treatment of itchy eyes caused by allergies, continue to use ketorolac eye drops until you are no longer exposed to the substance that causes your symptom, allergy season is over, or your doctor tells you to stop using it.
To instill the eye drops, follow these steps:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Check the dropper tip to make sure that it is not chipped or cracked.
- Avoid touching the dropper tip against your eye or anything else; eye drops and droppers must be kept clean.
- While tilting your head back, pull down the lower lid of your eye with your index finger to form a pocket.
- Hold the dropper (tip down) with the other hand, as close to the eye as possible without touching it.
- Brace the remaining fingers of that hand against your face.
- While looking up, gently squeeze the dropper so that a single drop falls into the pocket made by the lower eyelid. Remove your index finger from the lower eyelid.
- Close your eye for 2 to 3 minutes and tip your head down as though looking at the floor. Try not to blink or squeeze your eyelids.
- Place a finger on the tear duct and apply gentle pressure.
- Wipe any excess liquid from your face with a tissue.
- If you are to use more than one drop in the same eye, wait at least 5 minutes before instilling the next drop.
- Replace and tighten the cap on the dropper bottle. Do not wipe or rinse the dropper tip.
- Wash your hands to remove any medication.