Ophthalmic cyclosporine comes as an emulsion (liquid) to instill in the eye. It is usually instilled in each eye twice a day, about 12 hours apart. Instill cyclosporine eye drops at around the same times every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Use cyclosporine eye drops exactly as directed. Do not use more or less of them or use them more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Cyclosporine eye drops are for use only in the eye(s). Do not swallow or apply cyclosporine eye drops to the skin.
Cyclosporine eye drops come in single-use vials (small bottles to be used for one dose). The liquid from one vial should be used immediately after opening for one or both eyes.
To instill the eye drops, follow these steps:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Turn over the vial a few times until the liquid inside looks white and not see-through.
- Open the vial.
- Avoid touching the dropper tip against your eye or anything else; eye drops and droppers must be kept clean.
- While tilting your head back, pull down the lower lid of your eye with your index finger to form a pocket.
- Hold the dropper (tip down) with the other hand, as close to the eye as possible without touching it.
- Brace the remaining fingers of that hand against your face.
- While looking up, gently squeeze the dropper so that a single drop falls into the pocket made by the lower eyelid. Remove your index finger from the lower eyelid.
- Close your eye for 2 to 3 minutes and tip your head down as though looking at the floor. Try not to blink or squeeze your eyelids.
- Place a finger on the tear duct and apply gentle pressure.
- Wipe any excess liquid from your face with a tissue.
- If you are to use more than one drop in the same eye, wait at least 5 minutes before instilling the next drop.
- Discard the vial out of the reach of children even if it is not empty.
- Wash your hands to remove any medication.