When people live together in a home, a family needs to make sure that they are prepared for any type of emergency that may occur. There are many reasons that a family may need to have a first aid kit on hand. If there is an accident or an emergency, everyone in the household will need to be prepared with items on hand to help take care of the problem until the paramedics can arrive.
It Is Imperative To Have A First Aid Kit On Hand At All Times
Everyone should have a first aid kit on hand in their home. In most cases, people will also want to have one in their car too. Accidents can happen anywhere and at anytime. The more prepared a family is, the better the group will be able to handle what occurs before they can get help for their family members.
A First Aid Kit And What Should Be In It
A first aid kit should be made up and kept handy. Many people keep their first aid kits in their bathroom cupboard or in their kitchen. Some people put a first aid kit in both rooms. Family members should also have one for in their car. People usually put the first aid kit underneath one of the front seats in the car or in the glove compartment. There are several items that should be included in a kit that can be used to assist when there is an accident.
- Waterproof Container – Containers that are used for first aid kits need to be waterproof. The container should also be big enough to hold all the contents that will be necessary to allow people to handle emergencies.
- Band-Aids – Inside the first aid kit should be a selection of Band-Aids. It is a good idea to have a couple boxes of different sized ones available.
- Ace Bandages – Having Ace Bandages on hand is also a very good idea. This can make a huge difference when someone has a sprain or another problem.
- Small Pair Of Scissors – A small pair of scissors is necessary in case the Ace Bandage needs to be cut. The scissors should work properly but it only needs to be a small pair.
- Antiseptic – There should be some form of antiseptic in the kit. This will be used to clean out a wound if it is necessary to do so.
- Aspirin – Aspirin can help with the pain when someone is injured. It is also known to help with people that experience heart attacks if it is taken right away when the symptoms first start to appear.
- Tweezers – Tweezers may be necessary if someone has a splinter or other item lodged in the skin. Having the tweezers in the box of Band-Aids will keep them handy when they are needed.
- Neosporin – Neosporin will be of great assistance when people have cuts. It will help to keep the area on the skin cleared of germs. Band-Aids can be placed over the cut after the Neosporin is placed on the open wound.
- Cough Drops – It is a good idea to have some cough drops in the kit. In many cases, coughing can make a person feel worse when they are injured so having them on hand is a good idea.
- Medicines (if needed) – A supply of medications that a family member takes should be kept in the kit. This is just in case the person can’t get to their regular supply right away.
- List Of Medications Taken By Each Member Of The Family – A list of the medicines that each family member takes is a necessity. It is important to be able to tell the paramedics what medications any member of the family is on when they are injured.
Being Prepared With Handling Emergencies
When something happens in the house that constitutes an emergency, people need to know who to call. A family member should place a call to 911 in order to get an ambulance to the home to transport the injured person to the emergency room. Many people have a call button that will also bring attention to the home if the help is needed. Getting people the help they need is very important and in many cases, it can make all the difference in the world.
Being prepared for any type of emergency is important. Families will generally be able to handle a problem if one should happen when they have the proper first aid on hand. Then, they will be able to get the person to the hospital to assist with handling the problem.